Over the last few weeks, I’ve talked to many people who seem to have similar issues…no business or marketing plan! There’re so many new products, tools, marketing strategies, technology, increasing competitors, less money, etc. Keeping on top of everything can be a little overwhelming. Here are some tips which should keep your small business under control:
1. Figure out what you’re trying to do exactly. Set some specific goals so that you can measure your progress and results.
2. Get back to the basics! Start by planning a strategy. Jumping blindly into anything is going to get you running in circles.
3. What do you do all day long? Create a daily schedule with achievable goals.
4. One thing at the time. Why jump from one project to the other if you’re not completing anything?
5. Keep it simple.
6. Don’t try to keep up with all the newest technology, you’ll fail (unless that’s your business)! Be aware of the new technology but stick to the ones relevant to you and your business.
7. Social media is not going to be your savior, it’s just a small part of the big picture.
8. What works for your competitors might not work for you. Be inspired by others but find your own style and your voice.
9. What is your unique selling proposition? Figure out what makes you different than your competitors. If there are over 5,000 real estate agents or business consultants in your territory, why would people want to do business with you?
10. Ask for help! It’s ok to admit that you don’t know it all and are confused or overwhelmed. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness or incompetence.
11. Don’t listen to everybody. Advice from people that don’t understand your goals and business is useless.
12. Measure. How do you know if your strategy is working? Look at the numbers regularly and see what needs to be readjusted in your marketing strategies and business processes.
Remember that as a business owner, you have to be flexible since your business is always evolving.
What overwhelms you the most with your business?